This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

No property development trade? No relief!

By Mark McLaughlin, June 2021

Mark McLaughlin looks at relief from the annual tax on enveloped dwellings for property development trades. 

Companies holding residential property in the UK need to be wary of the annual tax on enveloped dwellings (ATED) (FA 2013, Pt 3, Schs 33-35). 

ATED is charged annually on companies (and other ‘non-natural persons’) that hold an interest in a UK residential dwelling (a ‘single-dwelling interest’) worth more than a statutory threshold. ATED may be due if the UK residential property is valued at more than £500,000. 

That’s a relief! 

However, there are various reliefs and exemptions from ATED. For example, there is relief where the single-dwelling interest is used as a source of rents from a property rental business run commercially and with a view to profit.  

In addition, relief from ATED may be

This is one of our 2037 Premium articles

To see this article in full and unlock access to our complete library of 2037 articles click 'subscribe & unlock' below:

Subscriptions include a 14 day free trial
+ money back satisfaction guarantee

Begin your tax saving journey today

Each month our tax experts reveal FREE tax strategies to help minimise your taxes.

To get Tax Insider tips and updates delivered to your inbox every month simply enter your name and email address below:

Thank you for signing up to hear from us!