This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

It’s a showdown! Gift relief vs incorporation relief

By Reshma Johar, May 2021

Reshma Johar considers what options a sole trader or partner of a partnership have when their unincorporated business is transferred into a company. 

On incorporation, a taxpayer will have a choice between the use of either gift relief (TCGA 1992, s 165), incorporation relief (TCGA 1992, s 162), or simply paying the capital gains tax (CGT) at the time of disposal.  

Given that the taxpayer has a choice of potentially the two reliefs, it will be a matter of understanding the current and future intentions of the taxpayer to determine which relief is best. 

More about the reliefs 

Incorporation relief will be available broadly where the following conditions are met:  

  • the business is transferred as a going concern;  
  • all assets of the trade (except cash) is&nbsp

This is one of our 2022 Premium articles

To see this article in full and unlock access to our complete library of 2022 articles click 'subscribe & unlock' below:

Subscriptions include a 14 day free trial
+ money back satisfaction guarantee

Begin your tax saving journey today

Each month our tax experts reveal FREE tax strategies to help minimise your taxes.

To get Tax Insider tips and updates delivered to your inbox every month simply enter your name and email address below:

Thank you for signing up to hear from us!