Am I Eligible for a Tax Refund?
I was made redundant (November 2010) and was wondering if I will be eligible for a tax refund as I was paying tax on a £35000 salary for half the year?

Arthur Weller Replies:
You can make a refund claim to HMRC. Had you made it before 6 April 2011 (i.e. within the tax year of claim) then you could have sent in your P45, together with a covering letter, together with a form P50; written 'Refund Claim' on the P50 and on the envelope and HMRC ought to have processed it within 4 weeks. If you make your claim after 5 April 2011 then it is the same, except that you don't send in the P50 form.

This question was first printed in Business Tax Insider in September 2011.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.