This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Transfer of a property to family tax-free?
How can my mother transfer her property into mine and my brother’s name in the most tax-efficient way possible? 
Arthur Weller replies:  
If the value of her estate (as calculated for inheritance tax purposes (IHT)) is less than or equal to the amount of IHT nil rate band available to her, she is best advised to not make a lifetime transfer to you, but instead wait until she dies, and then transfer IHT and capital gains tax (CGT) free. If that is not the case, if full principal private residence relief from CGT is available on this property, she can transfer to you now without CGT to pay. If that is not the case, she could transfer in stages, over a number of tax years, so that the amount of gain triggered per tax year is equal to or less than the amount of the CGT annual exemption (£12,000 for 2019/2020). 

This question was first printed in Tax Insider in September 2019.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE