This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Reporting a sale on my self-assessment return
I bought a one-third share in a property with my brother in 2007. We are now considering selling it. He resided in the property, whilst I regarded it as an investment. The purchase price in 2007 was £143,200, and it is valued today at about £150,000. We reside in Scotland, and I am a basic rate taxpayer. I don't think capital gains tax (CGT) will be due but what are the rules around reporting it via self-assessment? Are there any other tax implications for myself if we do sell?  
Arthur Weller replies:  
According to your figures the total gain on the property is £7,000, so your one-third share of this is £2,333. Every individual has a CGT annual exemption (AE) (i.e. £12,000 for 2019/20). If you haven't used your AE elsewhere, you will have no CGT to pay. However, since the sale proceeds of your one-third share are £50,000, you have to report it on the self-assessment tax return because whenever the taxpayer's sale proceeds are more than four times the AE, it must be reported on the tax return, even if there is no CGT to pay (due to the AE, or some other reason). 

This question was first printed in Tax Insider in July 2019.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE