This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Is there a time limit to claim mileage allowance?
I am self-employed. Can I claim mileage allowance for the past five years? 
Arthur Weller replies: 
If you have been entitled to claim mileage allowance but have not actually claimed it then you have overpaid income tax. So, in theory, you could claim 'overpayment relief'. However, there are two points to note. Firstly, overpayment relief can only go back four years. Secondly, one of the exclusions from claiming overpayment relief is ‘Case A’ (see HMRC’s Self-Assessment Claims manual at, i.e. if the taxpayer failed to make a claim (SACM12075), and that is what seems to have happened in your case. But putting aside overpayment relief, you can now amend the tax return that should have gone in on 31 January 2019 for the tax year 2017/18.  

This question was first printed in Business Tax Insider in July 2019.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE