This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Would mum be liable to CGT if we make her sole owner of the property?
My brother, my mum and I own a property that we live in. We would like to take our names off the property and make my mum the sole owner of it. Would my mum have to pay any capital gains tax (CGT) on this? Could she then gift the property to us along with my other two brothers as a potentially exempt transfer, so that if she lives for more than seven years we won’t be liable to Inheritance tax (IHT) on the property she has gifted us? 
Arthur Weller replies:  
Taking the names of yourself and your brother off this property so that your mother is the sole owner will not trigger any CGT for your mother because she is the recipient, but it may trigger CGT for you and your brother. However, since you live in the property, quite likely there would be no CGT liability, due to principal private residence (PPR) relief. However if the whole purpose of the exercise is so that the four siblings end up owning the property, perhaps 25% each, it would be simpler for your mother to gift 25% of the property to one 'new' brother, and then your mother and the first two siblings each gift 8.3% of the property to the second 'new' brother, so that everyone ends up with 25%. Again, PPR relief may be available to mitigate any CGT liability. But it must be added that if your mother continues to live in the property rent-free, the gift will not be effective for IHT purposes.  

This question was first printed in Tax Insider in June 2019.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE