This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Can I claim travel expenses to my rental property?
I only have one property in the UK and live in Spain. I go back to the UK three times a year and hire a car. I stay with my daughter and visit my property 20-plus miles away. Can I claim any of the car hire costs for tax purposes? 
Arthur Weller replies:  
If I understand you correctly, you own one property and that is a UK property that you rent out. While staying with your daughter you hire a car to see your rental property. If you look at HMRC’s Property Income manual at you can see that, from what you have written, the cost of the car hire is an allowable expense that you can offset against your rental income. I am making the assumption that you do not use the car for any other purpose at all.  

This question was first printed in Property Tax Insider in May 2019.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE