This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Transfer of property into my name – tax implications?
fMy ex-wife and I own a family home which will be transferred to her once all mortgage agreements are arranged. My ex-wife owns a rental property in her pre-married name and is transferring that to me. Would I be liable for capital gains tax (CGT) or would this be negated by living in the property and using it as my permanent residence? Would there be any other taxes to pay? 
Arthur Weller replies: 
CGT on transfers in a divorce settlement is dependent on the date of the transfer: (a) was it in the tax year of separation; or (b) after the tax year of separation but before the decree absolute; or (c) after the decree absolute, and whether the transfer was through a Court order. See HMRC’s Capital Gains manual at, and in particular CG22500. If the family home was your main residence until 18 months before the transfer, the final exemption rule will apply. See also, and in particular, CG65319. 

This question was first printed in Property Tax Insider in May 2019.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE