This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Can I claim private residence relief?
I purchased a property in June 1992 for £53,000, which I lived in for 16 years. I moved abroad and have rented out the house since then. I would now like to sell the house and notice that the rules have changed and I am unable to claim principal private residence (PPR) relief. Is this correct? The house is currently worth £350,000. I think it needs to be revalued at April 2015. 
Arthur Weller replies:  
If you look at (see Example 2) you can see that in your circumstance you can claim both PPR relief and lettings relief to reduce the chargeable capital gain. If you read Examples 1 and 2 there carefully, you can see that there is no necessity to get an April 2015 valuation. 

This question was first printed in Property Tax Insider in April 2019.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE