This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

What is my inheritance tax position when mum passes and the house becomes mine?
I am an only child. My father died ten years ago and left me his half of the house, with the proviso that my mother could live there. Unfortunately, she has not lived in the house after his death, firstly living with me, then a wardened apartment and now needing 24/7 care back with me. My question is where do I stand when she passes? Do I have to pay full inheritance tax (IHT)? And as she has not lived in the house since my father passed away ten years ago, do I have any exemption from paying IHT under the seven-year rule? 
Arthur Weller replies:  
When your mother dies, you will simply inherit her half of the house. You are concerned about the gift with reservation rules, but they are not relevant here. If the value of half the house is less than the residence nil rate band, you will have no IHT to pay (I am assuming that there are no other assets to inherit). 

This question was first printed in Tax Insider in February 2019.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE