This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

What do I enter in the company’s accounts?
I am dealing for the first time with the accounts of a company where the director has taken a £7,100 loan and did not pay it back within nine months after the accounting period ended. I am using ‘tax filer’ software to prepare these accounts and my question is: When I fill-up the profit and loss account and balance sheet in tax filer in the corporation tax box, do I fill up the amount of corporation tax due on profit for the year only, or corporation tax due on profit plus the 32.5% tax due on the director’s loan not repaid? 
Arthur Weller replies:
It is difficult for me to comment on tax software that I am not familiar with, but I can say that under corporation tax self-assessment, companies show the 32.5% tax on loans as part of the total corporation tax due. However, it is worth looking at because if this individual does not own more than 5% of the company, the 32.5% corporation tax charge may not apply. 

This question was first printed in Business Tax Insider in February 2019.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE