This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Tax allowance transfer - can we do this as my wife is a non-tax payer?
My sister and I jointly own a house in Manchester which is rented. We would like to transfer the ownership of the property to my sister's daughter who is twelve years old. Is this possible? 
Arthur Weller replies:  
You can certainly transfer the property the property to your 12-year-old niece. But there are a few things you should be aware of. In this country, a minor (under 18 in England) cannot legally own property, so someone will have to be the legal owner, and own it on bare trust for your niece, who will be the beneficial owner. Secondly, when a parent transfers an asset to a minor child, and the asset produces more than £100 income per year, the parent is liable to income tax on that income until the minor reaches the age of 18.

This question was first printed in Tax Insider in October 2018.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE