This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

What is my stamp duty land tax position should I purchase a property in England?
I own a property abroad, the value of which is £150,000. I wish to purchase my first house in England for £450,000. Would I need to pay the higher stamp duty land tax for this? I never lived in the property abroad, and currently rent in the UK.  
Arthur Weller replies:  
If you look at the following guidance on the Gov.UK website: (at paragraph 3.15 on page 10) you can see that, for these rules, ownership of a property abroad counts, and so you will need to pay the extra stamp duty land tax for this purchase because you will be judged to be owning two properties. 

This question was first printed in Property Tax Insider in September 2018.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE