This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

What can be deducted in working out the gain?
My mum is selling the flat I live in. It was my father’s, who passed away in 2013. We know she has to pay capital gains tax but are unsure what can be deducted. For example, she has just had a bill for £17,000 in major works to the property (it is a leasehold flat). Can she deduct this from the gain? 

Arthur Weller replies:
I presume your mother inherited the flat from your father when he died. If so, the probate value is the base cost and can be deducted from the sale proceeds. Put simply, any improvement expenditure can be deducted from the gain. So, any part of the £17,000 that was not repairs, but was to add something to the flat that was not previously there, can be deducted. Additionally, incidental costs on acquisition and sale can be deducted (e.g. solicitor, advertising, and estate agent’s fees). 

This question was first printed in Tax Insider in August 2018.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE