This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

I want to sell my mum’s house for below market value to my common-law partner – what would be his tax position?
I have power of attorney for my mum's affairs as she is in a care home. Can I sell her house in Manchester for less than market value to my partner (who I am not married to)? I know he will be liable for stamp duty land tax (SDLT), etc. Are there any other tax pitfalls? 
Arthur Weller replies: 
I cannot answer your question from the legal perspective. But from a tax perspective, yes you can do as you have written. SDLT will be based on the amount actually paid. In respect of capital gains tax (CGT), see pages until cg14547. You can see that quite likely HMRC will substitute 'market value' for the amount actually paid. This may be to your advantage. If principal private residence relief is available to your mother, this will mean that your mother pays little or no CGT. Furthermore, your partner's assumed cost of acquisition, for future CGT consideration, will be today's market value of the property, not the amount actually paid. 

This question was first printed in Tax Insider in July 2018.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE