This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Is he liable to the higher stamp duty land tax?
My son and I own several rental properties. He has lived in one of them for five years. He now wishes to purchase a property in his own name as his main residence. Is he liable to the higher stamp duty land tax charge?

Arthur Weller replies: 
Have a look at HMRC’s guidance at (page 27, Q&A 7). You can see that if the value of his share of a rental property is more than £40,000, he will be liable to the higher stamp duty land tax when he now purchases a new property. 

This question was first printed in Property Tax Insider in March 2018.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE