This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Would a UK limited company still be taxed in the UK and then double taxation relief claimed?
I have a UK limited company, which is fully owned and managed by me, who lives outside of the UK (i.e. Australia). I understand that a permanent establishment (PE) would be created in Australia. Would the UK limited company still be taxed in the UK and then double taxation relief claimed in Australia, or would I claim an Australian PE with nil profits in the UK under the double tax treaty? To confirm, it is not a property company, and there are no UK employees in the short term.

Arthur Weller replies: 
Since the company is a UK company, it will have to pay UK corporation tax on its worldwide profits. If it is also going to be taxed in Australia, due to their tax rules, then you will have to claim double tax relief. Maybe you should consider running your business through an Australian company. 

This question was first printed in Business Tax Insider in August 2017.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.

  • By clicking on the button below you agree to the terms & conditions and the privacy notice of the website.
  • Subscribe for FREE