Can we use rent-a-room relief to offset rental income?
We are landlords with a small buy-to-let portfolio and also rent out a room in our own house via Airbnb. If we include this income with our total property income on our tax returns, can we use our rent-a-room exemption to offset some rental income?

Arthur Weller replies: 
There is a special place on the UK property pages to record rental income eligible for rent-a-room relief. So you should keep the two sets of rental income separate on the self-assessment return, and consequently claim the rent-a-room exemption.

This question was first printed in Property Tax Insider in March 2017.

Tax Insider Lite

FREE tax strategies delivered to your inbox every month.